Stress/Teaching history by @MrHistoire
Name: Toby French
Twitter name: @MrHistoire
Subject taught (if applicable): History
What is your advice about? Stress
- If it’s not possible to do in the time you have in school then it isn’t possible to do – that is not your fault.
- Spend your evenings and weekends doing things you love with the people you love.
- Talk to your colleagues. Find out about their lives outside of school.
- Talk to your students. Find out about their lives outside of school.
- Smile. Spending all day with children is hilarious – enjoy it!
What is your advice about? Teaching History
- Don’t ever say ‘In the olden times …’ WHEN?
- Don’t ever say ‘They’. WHO?
- Answer all questions about the likelihood of WW3 with a nod towards your ‘What I think will happen if there’s a WW3’ laminated A3 poster.
- Do use historical examples as analogies. That means reading lots of history.
- Do admit if you don’t know. They’ll remember that lie all the way to their exams.
Originally published at Starter for Five.